11am........

11am........
I'm so glad you popped in, I'll put the kettle on and you grab yourself a chair - a good a time as any to stop for a brew. Enjoy...

Monday, 13 June 2011

Rippling - again........ *sigh*

This is a second posting of my crochet waffle, the first lot just looked like techno-babble and try as I might I could not get it to return to it's original format, so with a bit of cussing and judicial deleting I have now fixed the post.
****
One of my holiday delights is being able to crochet without feeling guilty. I can reach for my hook and yarn more or less any where and any time - on the beach, in the morning sunlight,on the side of a hill, on a picnic or watching Himself doing the washing up......My kinda holiday.


I love that feeling of the sun on my back. I love the jewel colours gleaming. I love that movement and the rhythm, I move the hook across the top of the blanket. Did I mention I love crochet just in case you hadn't picked up the subtle hints........




Youngest had my camera on such a morning and took pictures of my shadow on the fridge and of me. (It's ok mum  I've chopped your head of in the photo he cheerfully tells me).








Early on in the week we went up into the Kyloe Hills also known as Kyloe in the woods. It is on the list for must do climbs with a reputation of being a lot harder than it looks. Although we are not rock climbers, we do go up crags, the easy way and not roped up (and togged out in stretchy Lycra) and explore the tops and the far distant views. This day was no  exception and it was a wonderfully warm and sunny day


We all took what we thought was necessary for the day -  the boys took swords and bubbling imaginations, I took yarn and hook and Himself carried everything else.............I must try and address this imbalance of responsibility, I must get the boys to carry more yarn for me...........


Any hoo - back to crochet waffle. We sat a-top of Shiellow Crags and while the boys were entranced by the busy microscope world of ants and Himself sat thoughtfully staring at the view as he drank tea, I crocheted, admired my crochet, photographed my crochet and generally felt all happy at the zingy colours glowing in the sunshine. My heart felt all skippy and giddy at the sunshine and huge sky and the cheerful colours in the blankie just gave me an enormous smile.


Even on dull cool days when I stayed snuggled up in the car as the boys and the dog ran silly on sand blown beaches, I would have the radio on and a mug of tea as my hook would fly across the blankie. Each colourful zig-zaggy stripe would fill my little world with a bit of sunshine.








One of our days out was super-hot. We decided to spend it by Harthope Burn. A lovely wild stream that when dry, just bubbles quietly over rocks and into deep pools and when after rain, turns into a raging roaring torrent. The boys dammed the stream to make the pool deeper and braved the icy mountain water. While I, more sensibly sat in the most glorious dappled shade in long insect filled tickly grass and crocheted. We picnicked and paddled all day and it was so restful and refreshing and I managed to complete the second colour band - now that the stripes are repeating themselves, a rhythm of greens and blues slipping into pinks and reds, is really delighting me. And as each colour is only per row then changed I don't get bored and almost feel surprised when I reach the last ripple before ending off and reaching for the next shade.




The journey home after our week away only added to the rows as the miles rumbled beneath us. Each moment that took us away from our holiday was a moment more on the blanket. I know when this ever widening strip of colour is finished I will associate our lovely break with making this blanket. I love that. The connection to the good+times, the sad times, the laughter, the tears, the sun and the showers with every stitch of the blankets I make.


Well my dears, all for now, but before I sign  off, I just want to share something with you, I have a second blog which logs the making and sending off of blankets to Japan. We send our blankies to Japan-Alive a charitable organisation on the ground in Sendai.


Well, after the tsunami and earthquake an increased number of suicides are occurring and an initiative to teach knitting and crochet and having Yarn-Alive sessions are keeping women alive - now that can't be bad.


Follow the links for the full story - thank you xxx

5 comments:

  1. I agree with Priscilla. Lovely colours and it is great that it will remind you of your holidays when PHD sets in. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms as I don't have a ripple blanket on the go but plan to do so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, left a comment on the original post but dont know whether you got the originals or not. I love this blanket, your colors are jewel like. The link from Japan is inspiring, working with your hands certainly does have a positive effect ,def has for me.Great post. Enjoy your day :)
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your ripple blanket - I'm a crochet addict and there's nothing like relaxing with a hook and some wool!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4 lil girls, no, I'm not too sure what happened there either, but thank you for commenting again :)It is silly that we all find crochet or knitting pleasurable, an escape, an obsession but you never think of it as a life saver.

    PaisleyJade - definitely the best therapy in the world!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for meandering by today - I'm so glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you,

Hawthorn x
Sadly anyone signing anonymous will not be published

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

http://hawthorntime.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...