11am........

11am........
I'm so glad you popped in, I'll put the kettle on and you grab yourself a chair - a good a time as any to stop for a brew. Enjoy...

Monday, 28 June 2010

28.06.10 - Weekend

Saturday -

We sit scoffing fruit salad and yoghurt in the garden as we plan what needs doing today. The boys have their garden competition entries to start and Himself is going to lay some concrete for paving slabs. And me? Well, I keep looking at my garden and the weeds keep looking back at me, they cheerfully pop up overnight from areas previously cleared - how do they do that?

Eldest scrubs out his chosen 'creative container' - an ancient old zinc bucket, gifted to me by a man in his eighties. The bucket  had previously belonged to his 102 year old mother.......



Youngest disappears into the back of the garage to retrieve the red tray he is using for his mini-garden, it also needs a bath.


There is much planting and pulling back out and re-planting and shoving back in and yanking back out of all their chosen plants - I wince at the 'hands-on' approach the boys (particularly Youngest) but stand well back as these are their entries and I am not to get involved. Finally, after much juvenile cussing and muttering under breaths, they stand back pleased with their results.


Eldest's creative container is delightfully done -  a mix of annuals and vegetables
He is relieved and proud of his work - so am I....


















Youngest's mini-garden - not quite finished (art in the making) is still being constructed. He is last seen wielding the hair cutting scissors (aargh - not them!) as he creates a little hen hock for his flock of plastic chickens.



I get fed up with weeding and edging and make a start on the adult creative container 
- but this one is a secret!  
Oh - ok, just one picture as a hint............. 
might show a few more teaser pictures as the week goes on!





****************************

We missed celebrating the solstice on the 21st, so I plan to have one tonight - in the garden. After all the collective hard work, I think that the boys (all three) and I need a treat. Himself puts the benches out as I cook all sorts of easy to eat finger food. We bring out candles to symbolise the fires as we sit and eat and watch swallows and bats and a tawny owl and watch the sun go down. 



And when, finally the candles have burned low, the sky is almost dark and the boys are tired, we wander back into the house - it has been a good day.



*******************************

Sunday - 

A wonderful walk on ancient tracks, along quietly bubbling streams. A walk under huge beech and oak trees and along old stone causeways. A walk that cleansed the soul and made us feel so very alive.


Steeply wooded valleys 



Stone steps worn by years of trudging clog-weary feet



Last remaining relics of now long gone mills just 'appear' out of nowhere.



Sunken tracks beneath beech tree woodlands.




Coming out of the darkness of the woods and into the bright warm sunshine bathing the meadows.


A quiet moment of reflection.

It is days like these, with my boys, I feel free.



5 comments:

  1. What a rejuvenating weekend! Looks lovely!
    I spent mine cleaning carpet and packing... not so enjoyable I'm afraid, and definitely no photos to post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful. I always long to be there and I wonder so often what life would be like where you are... You obviously LOVE it! Would it be to calm for me? Would it be to much work? Or would it be perfect? Beautiful post, and I love the secret project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summertime - thank you - it was, I did feel a lot better for it, mentally prepared for the week ahead at work. Carpets cleaning and packing - now that is hard work!

    Jan - thank you, I need the calmness, the wildness, the beauty of the walks to counter my week at work. It is eco-escapism!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pix - boys' gardens look very good indeed. Adult Creative Container : love the new chicky nest. Sure it will be terrific when finished! Jak

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jak - thank you - Youngest is still working on his 'creation' but to my adult and probably not very good eyes - it looks no different!
    The weeds however do look different - more, bigger and everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for meandering by today - I'm so glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you,

Hawthorn x
Sadly anyone signing anonymous will not be published

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

http://hawthorntime.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...